Categories: Breaking Newsenglish

Seven killed in helicopter crash near Kedarnath, 5th crash in 6 weeks – myuttarakhandnews.com | Uttarakhand News in English | Dehradun News Today| News Uttarakhand | Uttarakhand latest news

CM Dhami orders inquiry, Heli services to Char Dham suspended till Monday PIONEER NEWS SERVICE/Dehradun Seven people were killed after a helicopter crashed near Kedarnath in Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand on Sunday. This is the fifth accident since the opening of the Char Dham portals and 13 people have died so far. The Rudraprayag district tourism officer, Rahul Choubey said that the Aryan Aviation chopper was ferrying pilgrims back from the Kedarnath shrine to Guptkashi when it went down in a forested area between Gaurikund and Sonprayag at around 5:20 AM on Sunday. He said that the incident involved six pilgrims, five adults and a 23-month-old child along with the pilot. All were charred to death in the crash. “The helicopter was on its return journey after a visit to Kedarnath temple when the weather deteriorated. The pilot tried to steer the chopper out of the valley but it went down near Gaurikund. Teams from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) along with the police then carried out rescue operations,” Choubey said. The deceased have been identified as Captain Rajbeer Singh Chauhan (39) from Jaipur, Vikram Rawat from Ukhimath, Vinod Devi (66) from Uttar Pradesh, Trishti Singh (19) from Uttar Pradesh and a couple from Maharashtra Rajkumar Suresh Jaiswal (41) and Shraddha Rajkumar Jaiswal along with their 23-month-old daughter Kashi. The couple’s son, Vivaan, was unharmed as he stayed back with his grandfather. The deceased Rawat was a Badrinath-Kedarnath Temple Committee (BKTC) employee. Choubey informed that locals who were collecting fodder for their cattle first noticed the wreckage and alerted the authorities. NDRF and SDRF teams reached Gaurikund by 7 AM, reached the accident spot via trekking and began their rescue operations an hour later. All the bodies have been recovered, he added. Officials said that due to the condition of the bodies, a DNA test will be conducted before they are handed over to the respective families.  Taking note of the accident, Chief minister Pushkar Singh Dhami suspended helicopter services till Monday. He also ordered an inquiry into the crash and said that action will be taken against those found negligent. He also announced the establishment of a Command and Coordination Centre in Dehradun for the coordination of helicopter operations.

shivani Rawat

Share
Published by
shivani Rawat

Recent Posts

CS angry over cabinet proposals being forwarded without mandatory signatures of Ministers, Secretaries

By Arun Pratap Singh my uttarakhand news Bureau  DEHRADUN, 16 May: Serious questions are once…

5 hours ago

CM interacts with CBSE topper Arina Raghuwansh

my uttarakhand news Bureau DEHRADUN, 16 May: Chief Minister Pushkar…

5 hours ago

Workers’ protest turns violent in Selaqui industrial area, stone- pelting reported

By Arun Pratap Singh my uttarakhand news Bureau  DEHRADUN, 16 May: A workers’ protest in the Selaqui industrial area today…

5 hours ago

Manav Utthan Seva Samiti secures Char Dham pilgrims with Rs 10 crore accident insurance

Satpal Maharaj hands over cheques of insurance to CM my uttarakhand news Bureau DEHRADUN, 16…

5 hours ago

St Thomas’ College hosts 110th Annual Speech & Prize Day

my uttarakhand news Bureau  DEHRADUN, 16 May: St Thomas’ College, proudly celebrated its 110th Annual Speech and Prize Day on Saturday, marking one of the…

5 hours ago

Dhami hands over Rs 10 lakh aid to family of Somendra Bohra

my uttarakhand news Bureau CHAMPAWAT, 16 May: Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami has expressed deep sorrow over…

5 hours ago